Records for the parish of Bierton go back to 1294 when Robert de Thame was appointed vicar. There is evidence that a church existed here even before this as the font within the church dates to the time of the Saxons.
St James the Great Church is thought to date back to 14th century and the main structure has changed very little since then. In the 15th/16th centuries the walls of the north and south aisles were raised and extra windows added. The present roof and the stained glass windows are 19th century.
The church has 7 fine bells, the oldest dating back to 1678. The bells and bell frame were refurbished in 1972. The bells are rung regularly each Sunday and for special services.